NO MORE RINGS AROUND IT: GAGE & TOLLNER, COMING BACK, NEVER REALLY LEFT

Credit: Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times Gage & Tollner in better days. The landmarked interior still has its gas lamps and wall-length mirrors.

Real Estate 

 

Born in Downtown Brooklyn 140 years ago, the missed Gage & Tollner Restaurant had called 372-374 Fulton Street Italianate-style brownstone home since 1892.  The building was designated a NYC Landmark in 1974 and 8 years later placed on the National Register for Historic Preservation. It closed in 1995 due to slow traffic. Eventually, its cherry-framed mirrors gave way to sheetrock and its mahogany tables were replaced by the seating styles of fasties TGI Fridays, then Arby’s. Later, a discount store offering costume jewelry and leather coats moved in, with a palm reader or hair/nail salon occupying the upstairs. Now, thanks to ambitious restaurant investors with a half-million dollars from an online fundraiser, the former elegant house of chops and oysters returns this fall. But it’s not a full rehab, according to our readers who gauge these sorts of things. Apparently, the once-popular dining spot never departed. Several years ago, they discovered original fixtures behind fake wall structures; the bathroom basically was intact and the hanging coats never fully hid through remnants of the kitchen.  (BG)

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Leave a Reply